Tuesday, February 5, 2013

90s Influence: Massive Attack


Rediscovery is a beautiful thing. Massive Attack's Mezzanine (pronunciation) used to occupy a much smaller part of my defined and appreciated music library than it does now. Once I developed a more ambient and atmospheric aspect to my music listening patterns, Massive Attack went from middle tier to god tier. Most of the albums I will post are vocal free or minimal at best; Massive Attack is an exception. 

The opening act, Angel, is one of my top 5 favourite all-time songs. It is the perfect trip-hop/downtempo song. I think Amy Hansen explains why I believe this. Also, any reference to Snatch is a great reason to listen to Massive Attack. The third track Teardrop is also quite familiar to television fans.

For students this album is incredible for winding down either before or after a big test. I would drive through the town of Niagara Falls at night blasting this album. The album also forced me to focus and essentially drown out irrelevant noises.This album is best at night and the vocals are why. Deep and dark, almost creepy and it is perfect this way.  

I hope you love it as much as I do.

Below is the full album with track listing (and time when song begins on video)

1 - Angel (0:00)
2 - Risingson (6:19)
3 - Teardrop (11:17)
4 - Inertia Creeps (16:47)
5 - Exchange (22:44)
6 - Dissolved Girl (26:58)
7 - Man Next Door (33:04)
8 - Black Milk (39:00)
9 - Mezzanine (45:18)
10 - Group Four (51:17)
11 - (Exchange) (59:29)





Video Credit: John Pap

Download: Mezzanine

Massive Attack - Website - Myspace - Last.fm - Twitter - Facebook 

4 comments:

  1. I have Massive Attack's "Paradis Circus' feat. Hope Sandoval on my iTunes - I love it and should've downloaded more by them! Thanks for the recommendation, as usual :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for some new music to wind down to. I'm going to give this album a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never listened to music like this. So chill and relaxing! I now have to update my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Going to have to make a new play list for all of this great, new music!

    ReplyDelete